Monday 1 February 2016

Savoury Coconut Bread & Busy Days


Hello once again my lovely readers! 

How the days get away from you, especially in the extreme heat of summer when life must go on. For me, I rejoice in the fact that now it's February, Autumn is officially only a month away :)

I have been doing a bit of experimenting lately after also doing a fair bit of research. What have I discovered? Carbs are not the enemy. Or, more to the point- gluten. What does seem to cause problems is many factors, but namely the added sugars and inflammatory vegetable oils that are often added to gluten products to make them both cheap to produce and last longer on the shelf. 

On that note, a fair whack of gluten free products are just as chemically laden, and sugar filled. 

The option? Make it myself. Like today's recipe:

SAVOURY COCONUT BREAD

ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp bi-carb
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp spices of choice
10 eggs
2/3 cup coconut or olive oil (I used olive)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 long, red chilli, sliced thinly
1/3 cup olives of choice, patted dry & quartered

method:
  • Preheat oven to 180 C
  • grease and line a slice tin
  • Mix dry ingredients
  • Add wet ingredients and mix well- a spoon will do
  • Pour into tin & bake for approx 50 minutes, or until firm to touch
  • Allow to cool before removing
This is a very dense, high protein bread. I found it a little bland until it was fried in butter and served with salad. If frying isn't for you- try toasting it. In typical gluten free style, it is very moisture absorbing and a little gritty, so have water on hand when eating it. It did make for a great experiment though, and it freezes very well too.

I had aimed to blog yesterday. Yesterday was so busy, and hot, I doubt my post would have been very coherent! But just for you, look below to see my day in pictures...



Soaked, dairy free oats ready for the days ahead- healthy brekky's are go!


Back to our community garden project. I found this single pink flower poking out from the mowed ground. Love how nature refuses to quit.


This is my mowing buddy. He happily stuck by my mower, eating all the fleeing bugs he could catch.


Taking a break to survey the job so far. Incidental exercise is a fun and easy way to keep active and stay fit. And trust me, when you are using a mower with broken front wheels and a cracked head, it is definitely exercise! 


My cheeky munchkin resting in the car while daddy mows. Prior to this, she had been running, running, and running some more. Cardio for the day- Check! 
Oh, for a third of her energy and enthusiasm!!!


Once home, in between doing the laundry, I snuck in a healthy banana bread for my toddler's day care lunches. By making it myself, I know exactly what's in it. As a bonus, it's easy to cut into toddler sized portions and freeze, making it so much easier, and cheaper, to grab healthy food options for little lunch box filling.  

And there you have it, your lot for today. Happy cooking! 

Once again, thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment