Tuesday 11 April 2017

When a spanner gets thrown into the works: acute pancreatitis.

ABOUT ACUTE PANCREATITIS

Acute pancreatitis is an inflammatory condition of the pancreas that is painful and at times deadly. Despite the great advances in critical care medicine over the past 20 years, the mortality rate of acute pancreatitis has remained at about 10%. Diagnosis of pancreatic problems is often difficult and treatments are therefore delayed because the organ is relatively inaccessible. There are no easy ways to see the pancreas directly without surgery, and available imaging studies are often inadequate. In addition to the acute form, there are hereditary and chronic forms of pancreatitis which can devastate a person over many years. Sufferers often endure pain and malnutrition, and are most likely left with a higher risk of pancreatic cancer.

The most common cause of acute pancreatitis is stones in the gallbladder. Gallstones pass through the common bile duct to enter the small intestine. At the entry of the small intestine, the main pancreatic duct joins or lies immediately next to the common bile duct. It is believed that stones that get stuck in the common bile duct impinge on the main pancreatic duct, causing an obstruction of the normal flow of pancreatic fluid and leading to pancreatic injury. Another way that a stone can cause pancreatitis is by causing a backflow of bile into the pancreatic duct, resulting in pancreatic injury. Whereas the actual mechanism of how gallstones cause pancreatitis is not entirely certain, the association of gallstones and pancreatitis is clear.

Treatment of Acute Pancreatitis: Fluids: One of the primary therapies for acute pancreatitis is adequate early fluid resuscitation, especially within the first 24 hours of onset. Pancreatitis is associated with a lot of swelling and inflammation. Giving fluids intravenously prevents dehydration and ensures that the rest of the organs of the body get adequate blood flow to support the healing process.

Information from The Pancreas Foundation.

This information comes courtesy to you after I was admitted to hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning in excruciating pain.  I was woken from my sleep it was so bad, could barely walk, and at one point, breathing was difficult and I ended up in fetal position on the lounge.

Pretty scary stuff.

My abdomen was unbearably sore to touch, no position was comfortable. The pain radiated from under my ribs, right side, through to my middle back, I couldn't even stand water, nearly vomiting. It also hurt under my breast bone.

If you ever have these symptoms, go to hospital immediately! You will need help to recover and deal with the pain.

I was told that as my gallbladder was also inflamed, the most likely cause was gallstones. I was told to expect a week in hospital, first to let the swelling go down, and then surgery to remove my gallbladder.

Mid Sunday morning, pumped full of 3 lots of morphine and a couple of
Endone, I had detailed ultrasounds done. Another spanner in the works. No gallstones visible. Just a lot of swelling.

So, it was back to bed with a drip and clear fluids only.


Pain relief is reason to smile!

At this point, I honestly just wanted them to rip my gallbladder out and be done with it.

I responded well to the drip and clear fluids and the pain subsided to discomfort. I was discharged, pending further tests, late Monday afternoon.

And this is where the fun begins. Though feeling a little weak, and very constipated, my belly only felt a little grumbly. So, with my new, strict, hi-carb, low gi and low fat dietary guidelines, I felt all would be well.

Enter pain. Granted, not as severe, but oh my goodness. Half an hour after food and I'm doubled over, groaning. I'm also extremely weak now. And I'm still going to bed and waking up with abdo/ back pain.

I admit, not feeling particularly confident. Next Tuesdays appointment with my Dr can't come soon enough.

I've been through health scares before. It's the not knowing that utterly sucks. I want to know exactly what I'm up against, then fight the mongrel with everything in me, and with the power of my God as well.

Shout out to my amazing family, church and home, for being an incredible support, bringing things to hospital, delivering meals. And to my amazing hubby, you rock! Thanks for your unending patience and unconditional love. 

And shout out to the emergency and surgical ward staff at Tweed Hospital- you guys were amazing and made my stay completely bearable :)

Watch this space; I'll be keeping you informed, and posting new recipes as I re-tweak my entire diet!


















No comments:

Post a Comment