Sunday 24 January 2016

Easy Basil Pesto & Chicken Bake

It is nearly the end of school holidays. Its also nearly Australia Day. We have a big, busy week ahead. That means I need to get myself into some form of organisation and plan ahead for things, like family meals. With a toddler,  a hubby and a 20 year old at home with me, I can't just slack off every night, though believe me, the temptation is great. Especially in the humid summer heat. My family doesn't share my desire for a light, non cooked meal every night, which is most inconvenient.

We are still on a budget. It's challenging making a variety of meals on a tight income, but not impossible. I impressed myself today with making a little bit go a long way. 

What inspired today's creation was a morning well spent. I researched perimenopause like crazy. I'm so glad I did, as it helped me not only identify how far into it I am (the beginning apparently), by reading other women's stories, I realised my feelings are spot on normal. One woman had all the children she wanted, a great job, was healthy and fit, but still grieved the ending of her fertility. I get that. It's a tough thing to come to terms with- the ever progressing sands of time. 

Another bonus to researching like a mad woman was discovering the foods and supplements that have benefit and even greatly assist the descent into infertility. I quickly rushed out and purchased 2 of the 5 supplements I wanted to start immediately. Anything that helps calm the constant PMS symptoms from hormonal fluctuations is worth trying.

Food is a big, important factor as well. I read up on Dr's articles, educated sites, as well as personal testimonies and menopause links. For me, Mediterranean type eating is the best option, with foods rich in omega 3's, low in processed carbs, high in vegetables. My kind of diet!  My heart health will be protected, my cholesterol stable, and sugar cravings limited with a variety of good oils and simple fare.

Now, it's just a matter of working it into my every day diet and finding the affordable options for me. Lucky my local fish shop sells mullet very cheaply- the poor person's salmon substitute. Glad I love all fish :)

And that leads me to today's creation which then became part of tonight's meal (and no, it's not fish)....

BASIL PESTO 

ingredients
2 cups basil leaves (I grow my own- it's simple to do)
Juice of 1.5 lemons
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
Garlic clove
100g macadamias

method
In a small blender, place all the ingredients and blitz until combined and nuts appear fine.
Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. 
It's that easy!



The pesto turned out very, very lemony. It was tangy and delish still, and inspired me to create a simple budget family dinner...

PESTO CHICKEN BAKE

ingredients
1 large chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/4 red chilli, chopped finely
1 small knob butter
250 g pasta spirals, cooked and drained
1/2 cup grated cheddar
2/3 of above pesto
1/2 cup low sugar, whole egg mayo (always check the sugars per 100g- not serving size. The one I use has around 2g of sugar per 100g)

  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Saute onions and chilli on medium heat.
  •  Add chicken, cook until chicken is very lightly browned.
  • Lightly grease a baking dish. 
  • Add cooked pasta, cheese, chicken mix and pesto/ mayo. 
  • Mix well in baking dish. 
  • Bake, uncovered, for around 20 mins, or until lightly golden.
Serves 4-6. Serve with salad.



I'm proud to say, this dinner was a winner! My toddler even devoured all but the chicken- it was a little too chunky for her. I will confess- I had tabbouleh and tuna for dinner, but I did lick the serving spoon...Yum!

I hope this has left some of you feeling just a little bit inspired. I look forward to bringing you more nutritionally dense, filling budget meals as I continue to research for my own sanity!

Until next time, thanks for reading :)





No comments:

Post a Comment