Friday 15 January 2016

Pulled Pork, Sweet Chilli & Fetta Pizza

My hubby is addicted to pizza. Well perhaps addicted is a tad harsh. It's in his top 5 foods of choice. Rum & raisin chocolate would be his ultimate weakness. However, as I know he wouldn't knock back a pizza every day, and I'm not making rum & raisin chocolate, it pays that I get good at making his other addiction. 

I am not a huge pizza fan. Don't get me wrong, the odd one here and there is fine. But love is a many splendid thing- it makes us do things for others, and not just ourselves. Like not only making my hubby's fave food, but adding a sugary topping- sweet chilli- to the base. In the big scheme of things, I've eased slightly in my 'zero sugar' militancy. I now have a 'low sugar' approach.  We rarely eat processed breakfast cereals- brekky's at our place usually have eggs, bacon (another of hubby's top 5 foods), maybe a beetroot smoothy (though hubby doesn't think this qualifies as being called food) and vegemite on wholemeal toast. Our processed carb content is fairly low, so when I use the odd bit of sweet sauce, I cut some myself some slack. We generally eat real food. 

Another thing I should be telling you is this- just because I make it, doesn't mean I should eat it. Approaching the big M (menopause!!!!!!) is a scary thing for me, and knowing what it does to a metabolism (slows it down), muscle tone (prone to losing some) and heart health, I really don't want to indulge my emotions and comfort eat, only to regret the health issues later. I am in control of what goes into my mouth. I can still eat with my family, but am very aware that I have to cut processed carbs, sugars and giant portions. I am finding by making a vat of veggie soup ahead of each new week means meal times are easy- a big bowl of high fibre, low cal/carb soup before my main and I'm satisfied with a sensible meal.

Making my own food isn't such a chore. If it's spag bol, I can put mine on veggie 'pasta', or as with the pulled pork pizza, I can just have the pork with a salad. Things change. Bodies age. Considering I've had over 40 years of eating pretty much what I wanted- I'm not missing out!  I'm just being a diva if I buy into that lie. I like feeling healthy. I like feeling strong. I want this body to carry me well into my future years, not dependent on medications to fix my poor health choices. I look at my little energiser bunny and marvel at how fast a 20 month old can run! I want to keep up with her, and future grand babies. That makes it worth while.

And now, the pizza!



This is the best base recipe I've found. It's quick, easy and you'll be eating pizza in no time. Thanks taste.com for this :)

Thin & Crispy Pizza Bases

ingredients:
  • 250ml luke warm water
  • 1 7g sachet dried yeast
  • 1 ts sugar
  • 3 cups p flour
  • 1/4 ts salt
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 3 tbs sweet chilli sauce (optional)


method:
  • Preheat oven to 220 Celcius.
  • Place yeast and sugar in water. Set aside for 5 mins or until yeast foams.
  • Place flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well.
  • Add oil and yeast. Mix well.
  • Turn onto floured board. Knead for several minutes until smooth.
  • Split into 2. Roll into balls, cover with oil, cling film and a tea towel for 5 mins.
  • Roll out.
  • Place on grease proof paper on an oven tray. 
  • Cover with half the sweet chilli sauce. Cook for approx 8 minutes.
Pulled Pork Topping:

  • 2-3 cups pulled pork
  • 200g fetta, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar
  • spinach, rocket and other salad leaves
  • greek yoghurt
Divide mixture and place on both pizza bases- except salad greens and yoghurt.
Cook in a 200 celcius oven for around 10-12 minutes.
Cut into slices and top each piece with salad greens and a big dob of yoghurt.
Enjoy.




And there you have it, another recipe to inspire you. have a great weekend, and thanks for reading :)







No comments:

Post a Comment