Wednesday 13 January 2016

Chinese BBQ style Pulled Pork

How time flies! I know last year I made promises of keeping you all updated sooner, but that, dear readers, was before realising that taking on another student, moving our toddler back into our room, and me trying to complete a summer unit of university was perhaps, well, madness. A full house with many different wants and needs going on all over the place, and a toddler who was thrilled to have her mumma and daddy so close, why bother sleeping all night? Yes, I'll say it again. Madness. Exhausting too.

That's all over now, mostly. *Insert sigh of relief here*. Today, I handed in my final assignment for this semester of study. I desperately hope I've passed, but if not, I'm going to really, really know the subject well should I need to repeat.

When I say mostly, I feel it only fair to warn you, perimenopause has hit with a vengeance. Cry. It's such a taboo subject, Google doesn't even recognise it as a word. Well tough. Now it's here, I'm talking about it. It feels awesome to have PMS symptoms non stop, or the vague, emotional roller coaster feelings of pregnancy without the hope of a baby. Yay to getting older. 

Its utterly vital that more than ever, I focus on what is important. Take a little look at my sweet baby girl, now a 20 month old cheeky, adorable, curious, energetic toddler. She does my soul good, and I am grateful for her daily.


Immune boosting and just plain fun, playing in the bird bath and filling it with dirt :)

It's also important I choose to find little snippets of joy in the every day, like this discovery on a walk...


A random photo I took on a walk one afternoon, but I love how pretty and intricate grevilleas are.

And where would we be if we couldn't see the treasure under the trash?


My amazing hubby made this! Well, he actually up-cycled a damaged rocking chair we both spotted on the roadside for council clean-up, and he turned it into this stunning chair just for me. 
I am spoiled.

I am working on getting back into a gym routine, though it hasn't been easy. My trainer is doing his Master's and not very available, and Christmas, with all of the above mentioned thrown in has put a huge dampener on my enthusiasm and commitment. Lack of sleep isn't particularly conducive to long gym sessions, or any at all really! 

The good thing about a new year is they tend to bring with them a sense of renewal, and for me, a new sense of motivation. The diet is back on track, the exercise is happening regularly, albeit slowly until I get my fitness back up there. I like new beginnings. I have permission to start all over. And with the big CHANGE already in progress, I need to age well. Exercise, diet and a healthy outlook will all play an important part in getting me there.

Now, let's talk food. I actually hate paying full price for food- supermarkets are often so overpriced, and it makes buying fresh a little off putting. But bargains can be found, as I discovered when I purchased 2 rolled pork roasts for a ridiculous 80% off! Instead of the $31+ dollars they were originally, I scored them both for less than $7! The best before date was a day away, but as the store assistant told me, Woolworth's actually makes their best before date 2 days earlier to ensure freshness. So, my meat had 3 days to go, and could have been frozen anyway to extend the shelf life for months. I instead chose to make use of them with my slow cooker, and here is the recipe (adapted from Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar recipe)...

SLOW COOKED CHINESE BBQ PORK

ingredients:
1.5 kg pork, trimmed of fat
black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock, or water
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/3 cup honey or rice malt syrup
juice of 2 lemons

After you have trimmed most of the fat from the pork, place it in a slow cooker and, after mixing ingredients in a separate bowl, pour over the pork. Place the cooker on high and leave for 3.5-4 hours. (I have a $20 slow cooker that only took 3.5 hours to cook two 1.5kg pork shoulders completely. Of course, I doubled the seasoning too).

When cooked- test, it should fall off the fork fairly easily, transfer meat only to a plate and, using 2 forks, pull the pork into shreds. 


The cooked lumps of pork. Not terribly attractive, but oh so delish!


Grab one smallish lump at a time on a separate plate, and as you hold with one fork, pull the tender meat shreds off with the other.


Unless you are feeding a family of 20, or seriously need to cut down your portion sizes, there will be an abundance of left over pork, which can be stored and frozen. 

Our family has had pulled pork wraps, pulled pork and salad, pulled pork and pastry, and maybe tomorrow, pulled pork spring rolls.

Budget cooking at its best!

I am almost hesitant to say I'll chat again soon. With uni over for several weeks, I really shouldn't have too much of an excuse.

I hope this has inspired you, and I do look forward to being able to bring you more recipes soon, and let you in on my exciting year of change :)

Until next time, thanks for reading! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment