Friday 22 January 2016

Our idyllic mountain escape

Picture this: Mountains, stunning scenery, cool breezes, lush gardens, a spa suite... Sounds like the perfect getaway, doesn't it. Add a toddler to that. Maybe not so appealing now, am I right? Add an injured husband, who, on the day we set off couldn't walk properly. It's getting less tempting now, I hear you. And then, throw in a woman who is dealing with her own companions- the 7 dwarves of menopause: forgetful, achy, teary, psycho, sleepy, bloated & irrational, and you have the perfect setting for a movie. 

Only, this is no set. It was my week away. 

The day we set off, my hubby had a flare up of an old injury. A severe flare up. I mean, not being able to walk without a walking stick and knee brace kind of pain. Each step was torture for him. I was ever the gracious wife and couldn't believe the timing. I'm amazing, I know. 

The first night at our beautiful retreat resulted in me getting a combined 4 hours of sleep. I hadn't planned for teeth to come through right then and there, but come through they did. Even with the teeth through, it was agreed- holidaying with an energetic, curious toddler was just plain, hard work, even without hubby's injury. It also meant a trip to the local grocery store was the plan for evening meals, and not eating out. We should be grateful- she saved us a fortune!

It was also challenging walking at 0.5k's an hour everywhere due to hubby's injury, and not being able to see as much as we'd hoped.  However, as we have some pretty epic gardening plans being developed for a rather ambitious 7 acre project this year (details to follow in the coming months!), it perhaps was a blessing in disguise, as many walking tracks were grossly under-estimated in difficulty, and at one point, prevented an elderly gent from progressing further than the first 20 metres. 

Hubby even found that some garden paths were impossibly difficult to walk on with an injury, and even hard to push a pram on. In today's politically correct about everything society, limiting access for certain individuals was actually quite eye opening and distressing- as in the case of the elderly gent prevented form enjoying what he thought was a gentle, easy 1.4 k walk through a forest.  

It was still an amazing break.

The retreat was beautiful, and excellent value for money. Our suite had a wrap around veranda on 2 sides, perfect sunrise over the mountain views, a 2 person spa and kitchenette. I would recommend Aaronlee Retreat to anyone, and we will definitely visit again. Perhaps not with a toddler!

My little girl discovered horses. She now calls them horkies. In fact, she loves horkies, and even talked about them the first night back when I put her to bed.

We had the pool to ourselves for 3 days. My baby loves the water as much as her mumma does. It was so much fun splashing around with her and seeing the pure joy on her sweet little face.

I relaxed- despite everything, because I was surrounded by trees and less people. My heart is in the mountains surrounded by nature. Reconnecting with who you are is good for the soul. I'm a country girl at heart who adores the sound of the wind in the trees above the sound of the ocean any day. And the cooler mountain air was perfect. How I miss sleeping with a blanket in summer! 

Hubby was blissfully happy, despite being Limpy. Seriously, he had so much bacon! Every day. Quality, thick cut and plentiful. It made me feel bloated and nauseous, but not him. My man was in bloke heaven. I am now on a vegetarian diet for a couple of days. My poor arteries! 

Below are a few snap shots of our week...


Mother and child ponies, or horkies to my little girl.


A stunning garden entrance and pathway at Mt Tamborine Botanical Gardens.


Ten minutes of bliss as my little cutey enjoys milk froth and chocolate powder, otherwise known as a baby cinno :)


Stunning view of the Gold Coast from atop our retreat.


Love Aussie bush scenery, like this at the very top of Cedar Creek Falls.


Hubby pushing our little girl into the Glow Worm cave tour. She lasted 5 minutes before the darkness terrified her. I'm glad hubby took her out and let me stay- it was a surreal, magical experience.


Sunrise from our veranda. Not bad.


Bush walking with a toddler. She was screaming because her mumma wasn't carrying her. Who needs a gym when you can carry a toddler through a difficult 1.4 k track!


I fell in love with these hedges of agapanthus. I have never really been fussed on them before. That was until I saw how stunning they look when mass planted. Mt Tamborine had so many stunning landscape gardens- I'm inspired!

And there you have it, your lot for now.
Until next time, thanks for reading!











No comments:

Post a Comment